Ozark Air Lines began flight operations in September 1950 with only one passenger using a DC-3 aircraft.
Ozark started commerical service September 1950 with 4 - DC-3 aircraft. The first route flew between St. Louis and Chicago with stops at Springfield, Decatur and Champaign Illinois.
Late in the 1950's the airline aquired its first turbine powered aircraft, when three Fokker Fairchild F-27 "Friendships" were ordered. Turbo-prop service was initiated in September 1959 with the airlines two most important routes, Chicago-St Louis-Joplin, and St Louis-Minneapolis, both with the required intermediate stops. Not only would the new aircraft have a cruise speed almost 100 knots faster than the DC-3s, but the 40 seat F-27 would also introduce the new Ozark Swallow image, a logo that would last to the end of the airline, over a quarter of a century later.
The airline flew its last flight October 1986 and ceased operating under the name of Ozark Air Lines in October 1986 when TWA bought the carrier and took over it routes and aircraft.
Ozark Air Lines Aircraft Fleet in 1986
Total Aircraft - 50
7 - DC-9-10
36 - DC-9-30
3 - DC-9-40
4 - MD-82
5,600,000 Passengers were carried in 1985
50,737,000 revenue miles in 1985.